With Invisalign, one of the biggest advantages over traditional braces is that you can take the aligners out to eat and drink. However, this doesn’t mean that they don’t ever get dirty. It is important to keep your aligners clean to help keep them clear, odorless, and germ-free. Caring for Invisalign aligners is easy; just follow these steps to ensure a healthy mouth:
Things to Do:
- Rinse your aligners anytime you take them out of your mouth to prevent buildup of saliva, bacteria, and food particles.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly to prevent the buildup of plaque and bacteria which can be stuck under the aligners.
- Soak your aligners regularly in the specialized Invisalign solution to keep them clean.
Things Not to Do:
- Be sure to avoid colored drinks and foods that could stain your aligners, so stick to drinking water when wearing them.
- Do not use toothpaste to clean your aligners, as it could harm your aligners. When you do brush them, just brush them gently with water.
- Avoid using scented or colored soap when cleaning them, as this could also lead to staining.
Tips for Traveling with Invisalign
The ability to remove your Invisalign can be very convenient. However, when traveling, you should be extra careful since it can be easy to misplace them or break them. Here are some helpful tips for taking care of them when traveling:
- Bring an extra aligner case with you for backup.
- When on vacation, brushing your aligners every time you take them out may not be on your mind. At minimum, you should rinse out your aligners before putting them back in.
- If possible, bring your current set, your previous set, and your next set of aligners with you just in case you lose a pair.
If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign in Grand Rapids, contact our office today to schedule an appointment!